Royal Conservatory of Music Theory Certificate Program
- 45 mins Group Class, online or in-person
- Levels Prep A & B – Level 10
- Classes run from September – June, Academic Term 2022-23.
>> View Theory Class Schedules
Music Theory Certification at Every Level
The RCM curriculum is designed to enrich practical studies concurrently by level therefore supporting the study of music theory at every stage of a student’s musical development. It encompasses rudiments, harmony, counterpoint, analysis, and music history, and has been carefully written to enhance the skills of aural awareness, analytical thinking, and creativity.
Upon successful completion of each RCM Theory Exam Level, a student will be recognized with a Certificate from the Royal Conservatory of Music. Our school offers the RCM Theory Certificate Group Class as a course or as part of our CW Conservatory Program. See p. 8 in our Student Handbook for more details.
Why should I take a Music Theory course?
- Students achieve a deeper understanding and appreciation of music, allowing for independence and creativity.
- Students who study music theory become fluent in the language of music.
- The more fluent, the easier it will be to grasp musical concepts.
- Theoretical levels are tied to practical (performance) levels, reinforcing concepts encountered in repertoire, technique, and musicianship studies.
What are the benefits of The Royal Conservatory Certificate Program?
- High quality: The Royal Conservatory offers a national standard of music education
- Comprehensive: The RCM Certificate Program includes repertoire, etudes, technique, sightreading, ear training, musicianship, and theory.
- Well-rounded Structure: The program provides a consistent clear path for well-rounded musical training, and meaningful structure for rewarding excellence.
- Recognition of Achievement: Student achievement is recognized at each level through examinations. Students can celebrate their accomplishments and track their progress.
- Accredited Assessments: An accredited examiner from the RCM’s College of Examiners provides objective feedback and comments which can be valuable in developing the student’s skills.
- High School Credit: Many high schools recognize RCM Certificate Program examinations for credit toward graduation.
- College Application (extracurricular): An impressive addition to any resume – demonstrates musical accomplishments, creativity, a willingness to learn, and the ability to achieve goals. Students who participate in RCM examinations tend to become more dedicated to their instrument and practice more often.
- Achievement in RCM Certificate Program examinations is an impressive addition to any resume. More than just sharing individual’s musical accomplishments, it is indicative of their creativity, a willingness to learn, an ability to set both short and long-term goals, and a commitment to achieving difficult tasks.
34% off class tuition with any Program
~$29 / class if not taken with 1:1 private lessons
Interested in both Theory & 1:1 Music Instruction? Our Conservatory Program would be the right fit for you, with reduced tuition rates when you bundle theory & music lessons together.